Composition and recordingEdit
John Lennon plays a Hofner Pianet electric piano throughout the song accompanied by McCartney's ascending and descending bass lines. The song's verse has a call and response structure, McCartney's lead vocal alternating with Lennon and George Harrison' harmony, singing the chorus "Aaah the night before...", the whole being alternated with a second melody. Paul plays a guitar solo with George on the third verse that is recapitulated in part as the coda of the song.
- Paul McCartney – Lead Vocals, Bass Guitar (Hofner 500/1), Lead Guitar (Epiphone 230TD Casino)
- John Lennon – Hohner Pianet C Electric Piano, Backing Vocals
- George Harrison – Rhythm Guitar (Grestch Tennessean), Lead Guitar (Fender Stratocaster), Backing Vocals
- Ringo Starr - Drums, Tambourine
- Personnel per Ian MacDonald; he was uncertain if the percussion instrument was a tambourine or not.
- MacDonald, Ian (2005). Revolution in the Head: The Beatles' Records and the Sixties
(Second Revised ed.). London: Pimlico (Rand). ISBN 1-844-13828-3.
- Miles, Barry (1997). Paul McCartney: Many Years From Now
- http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/the-night-before/ - Beatles Bible notes
- http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/tnb.shtml - Alan Pollack's notes
- http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/beatles/the_night_before_crd.htm - Lyrics and chords