Reel Music is a compilation album featuring a selection of songs by The Beatles that were featured in their films. The album was released on 22 March 1982 in the United States and the following day in the United Kingdom - nearly simultaneously with the theatrical re-release of the film, A Hard Day's Night, which had been "cleaned" and re-edited with stereo Dolby sound. Reel Music cracked the U.S. Billboard Top 20, peaking at No. 19.Template:Citation needed The album was released by Capitol Records in the United States (catalogue number SV 12199) and Parlophone in the United Kingdom (PCS 7218.)
The album featured a number of stereo mixes that had previously been unavailable in the US or rare:
- The first US release of the British stereo mix of "I Am The Walrus". Previous American releases of the song had the intro edited like the mono mix;
- The official American debut of the songs "A Hard Day's Night" and "Ticket To Ride" in true stereo;
- A unique stereo edit of "I Should Have Known Better", with the harmonica error in the intro fixed. This version never appeared on any other record.
- The album was accompanied by the single "The Beatles Movie Medley" b/w "I'm Happy Just to Dance with You," which came with a picture sleeve featuring the same artwork as the album cover. The A-Side of the single featured an artificial medley, in which excerpts from seven songs from Reel Music ("Magical Mystery Tour," "All You Need Is Love," "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away," "I Should Have Known Better," "A Hard Day's Night," "Ticket to Ride," and "Get Back") were edited together to make a single track. Presumably this was done to compete with the popular "Stars On 45" medley, released in 1981.
- Originally, the single's B-Side was to be an interview with the group dubbed "Fab Four on Film," which was recorded during the filming of A Hard Day's Night in 1964. Capitol/EMI Records, however, could not obtain the necessary permission to utilise the interview on the single, and "I'm Happy Just to Dance with You" (which appeared in the A Hard Day's Night film but which was not included on the Reel Music album) was substituted as the B-Side shortly before the single was released.
- Side one
- "A Hard Day's Night"
- "I Should Have Known Better"
- "Can't Buy Me Love"
- "And I Love Her"
- "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away"
- "Ticket to Ride"
- "Magical Mystery Tour"
- Side two