|Back in the U.S.S.R.|
Back in the U.S.S.R. cover
|Genre||Hard Rock, Surf Rock|
|Released|| 22 November 1968 (album)|
25 June 1976 (UK single)
|Album||The Beatles (The White Album)|
|Also featured on||single (Back in the U.S.S.R./Don't Pass Me By)|
|Recorded||22–23 August 1968|
|Label|| Apple (album and 1968 single)|
Parlophone (1976 single)
|The Beatles (The White Album) guide|
|single (Back in the U.S.S.R./Don't Pass Me By) guide|
Got to Get You into My Life / Helter Skelter
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da / Julia
Back in the U.S.S.R. is the opening track of the Beatles' self-titled album, and was written and sung by Paul McCartney (credited Lennon/McCartney). It was written by McCartney to sound like a Beach Boys song. This is most obvious around the line "The Ukraine girls really knock me out."
In his 1984 interview with Playboy, McCartney stated that the song's title was "took off" from Chuck Berry's song "Back in the U.S.A.".
- August 22, 1968- Five takes of the rhythm track were recorded with Paul on drums, George on lead guitar and John on bass.
- August 23, 1968- Overdubbing of two more drum tracks (probably John and George), two more bass parts (probably Paul and George), two more lead guitar parts (probably John and Paul), a piano, the lead vocal, John and George backing vocals and handclaps. They also overdubbed the opening airplane sound, which was a Viscount jet taken from EMI's sound effects library, Volume 17: Jet and Piston Engine Aeroplane as well as Mono mixing and tape copying.
- October 1, 1968- Stereo mixing
- November 22, 1968-First released on The White Album in the UK.
- Paul McCartney - Lead and Backing Vocals, Lead Guitar (1964 Fender Esquire), Bass Guitar (1964 Rickenbacker 4001S), Piano, Drums and Handclaps
- John Lennon - Backing Vocals, Six-String Bass Guitar (1968 Fender Bass VI), Lead/Rhythm Guitar (1965 Epiphone 230TD Casino), Drums and Handclaps
- George Harrison - Backing Vocals, Lead Guitar (1957 Gibson Les Paul Standard), Bass Guitar (1968 Fender Bass VI), Drums and Handclaps
- George Martin - piano